In the guide

Although the United Kingdom has left the European Union (EU), certain pieces of legislation (formally known as 'retained EU law') will still apply until such time as they are replaced by new UK legislation; this means that you will still see references to EU regulations in our guidance.

This guidance is for England

The food chain information (FCI) declaration is a document that is required to accompany cattle, calves, pigs, poultry, horses, sheep, goats and farmed game to slaughter at an abattoir for entry into the food chain.

Regulation (EC) No 853/2004 laying down hygiene requirements for the production of food of animal origin requires slaughterhouse operators to request FCI declarations in order to ensure that animals entering the food chain are safe for human consumption. Slaughterhouse operators must request, receive, check and act upon any information recorded on the FCI declaration as part of their HACCP ('hazard analysis and critical control points') plan. This helps to ensure that certain veterinary medicines or animals affected by disease do not enter the food chain.

Declarations from all previous keepers must be obtained if you have bought animals at market for onward consignment to a slaughterhouse.

Contents of food chain information

Information that must be confirmed on the FCI declaration includes:

  • health status of the farm. That the holding is not under any movement restrictions for animal disease or public health reasons
  • withdrawal periods have been observed. That there are no known veterinary medicine residues in the meat
  • the animal's health status. That the animal to be slaughtered has not been exposed to any disease, condition or residue (chemical / veterinary medicine, etc) that could affect the animal's health and also the safety of the end product

Additional information will be required on the FCI declaration for those animals showing signs of disease, abnormality or conditions that may affect the safety of meat derived from them. 

Back to top

Format of food chain information

There is no set format for how FCI declarations are to be received. Some slaughterhouses may have their own forms or you may use the model documents linked to below. It is suggested you contact your slaughterhouse operator prior to taking any animals to slaughter so you can establish which FCI format to use.

The following are FCI model documents, based upon those produced by the Food Standards Agency and Food Standards Scotland:

Back to top

LIS-1: sheep and goat animal movement document and electronic movement licensing

In the case of sheep and goats, the FCI declaration and additional information has been incorporated into the animal movement licence LIS-1 form. Use of the LIS-1 form, either in paper or electronic format, is one means of providing FCI for sheep and goats but other methods may be used that best suit slaughterhouse operators' business needs.

It is the responsibility of slaughterhouse operators to inform their suppliers about the exact FCI declarations they require and of the format in which they wish to receive them.

Back to top

eAML2: electronic movement licensing

The eAML2 is the electronic version of the pig movement licence (AML2) and has replaced the AML2 paper form. It combines the AML2 and FCI paper forms that are required when moving pigs to slaughter.

Back to top

When do I need to submit the food chain information?

FCI declarations can accompany your animals to slaughter. They may also be submitted to the slaughterhouse 24 hours in advance. This may be helpful for the slaughterhouse in identifying anything contained within the FCI declaration that may affect the normal operation of the business.

The FCI must be made available to the official veterinarian (OV) by the food business operator without delay, and the OV must be made aware of anything that gives rise to health concerns. Slaughter of the animals or dressing of the meat may not take place until it has been permitted by the OV.

If animals arrive at the slaughterhouse without an FCI declaration, the OV must be notified. The OV will decide whether slaughter may or may not take place without an FCI declaration. Carcases of animals slaughtered without an FCI declaration will not be approved for human consumption until the FCI declaration is received.

Back to top

Animals sent to slaughter from markets

If you buy animals at market for onward consignment to a slaughterhouse, FCI declarations must be obtained from all previous keepers to ensure the conditions on the FCI declaration form submitted to the slaughterhouse operator can be met.

These declarations should have been collected by the market and may be stated on its paperwork. If in doubt then please check with the market.

Similarly, if you send animals to a market and it is likely that they will go for slaughter you must supply an FCI declaration.

Back to top

Horse passports

Horse passports must also be provided and checked by the slaughterhouse operator before slaughter to ensure the animal is intended for slaughter for human consumption. If acceptable, the passport must also be given to the OV to check. See also 'Horse passports'.

Back to top

Trading standards

For more information on the work of trading standards services - and the possible consequences of not abiding by the law - please see 'Trading standards: powers, enforcement and penalties'.

Back to top

In this update

New FCI model documents attached.

Last reviewed / updated: September 2022

Back to top

Key legislation

Regulation (EC) No 853/2004 laying down hygiene requirements for the production of food of animal origin

Sheep and Goats (Records, Identification and Movement) (England) Order 2009

Pigs (Records, Identification and Movement) Order 2011

Food Safety and Hygiene (England) Regulations 2013

Please note

This information is intended for guidance; only the courts can give an authoritative interpretation of the law.

The guide's 'Key legislation' links often only shows the original version of the legislation, although some amending legislation is linked to separately where it is directly related to the content of a guide. Information on changes to legislation can be found by following the above links and clicking on the 'More Resources' tab.

What type of feedback would you like to leave
1a-User type
2a-User type
3a-User type
4a-User type

Consumer enquiries from England, Scotland and Wales are handled by the Citizens Advice Consumer Service who can be contacted by telephone on 03454 04 05 06. Consumer enquiries in Northern Ireland are handled by ConsumerLine who can be contacted by telephone on 0300 1236262. Call charges may vary.

How many years have you been trading?
How many employees are there in your business?

Business enquiries are dealt with by your local council. Use the Chartered Trading Standards Institute's postcode finder to locate your local trading standards team.

Are you satisfied? Did this site answer your question?