In the guide

Although the United Kingdom left the European Union (EU) in 2021, certain pieces of legislation (known as 'assimilated law') continue to apply until such time as they are replaced by new UK legislation, revoked or permitted to expire. This means that our guidance still contains references to legislation that originated from the EU.

In this guide, the words 'must' or 'must not' are used where there is a legal requirement to do (or not do) something. The word 'should' is used where there is established legal guidance or best practice that is likely to help you avoid breaking the law.

This guidance is for England, Scotland and Wales

The Energy Information Regulations 2011 and assimilated Regulation (EU) 2017/1369 setting a framework for energy labelling apply to specific energy-related products that have a significant direct or indirect impact on the consumption of energy.

If you sell certain new electrical goods to end users, you must clearly display an energy efficiency label on the appliance and make a product information sheet available in the product brochure or any literature that accompanies the product.

The Regulations apply to sales, hire or hire purchase, both in physical stores and transactions that take place by means of distance selling - for example, by telephone or the internet.

The supplier (which is the manufacturer, their authorised representative in the UK, or the person who places the product on the market) must supply the energy efficiency label and the product information sheet to the dealer (the distributor of the product to end users - in other words, the retailer).

An example label

Energy label: wash

The washing machine label conveys information on the energy efficiency of a particular model through colours, arrows and the alphabet. The A-G scale ranks appliances from the best (A) to the worst (G), while a corresponding colour code uses green to denote 'more efficient' and red for 'less efficient'.

For certain appliances, the existing energy efficiency rating category of A is divided into three extra categories (A+, A++ and A+++) where A+++ indicates 'more efficient'.

Note: the layout of labels and information required can differ significantly between products.

Back to top

Which products are required to have labels?

  • air conditioners and comfort fans
  • dishwashers
  • domestic ovens, hobs and range hoods
  • electronic displays (including televisions)
  • household tumble driers
  • light sources
  • local space heaters, powered with solid fuel (fossil or biomass), gas or liquid fuel; those powered by electricity do not require a label
  • professional refrigerated storage cabinets, blast cabinets, condensing units and process chillers
  • refrigerating appliances (including those with a direct sales function)
  • smartphones, tablets, etc
  • solid fuel boilers
  • space heaters
  • ventilation units
  • washing machines and washer-dryers
  • water heaters, hot water storage tanks and packages of water heater and solar

These Regulations do not apply to:

  • second-hand products
  • any means of transport for persons or goods
Back to top

Product information sheet (product fiche)

The energy label has to be supported by a product information sheet or fiche providing data relating to the particular model of appliance. This product information has to be contained in all product brochures and, if brochures are not provided, in all other product literature supplied with the product.

Back to top

Where do I need to display this information?

The energy label must be displayed on all relevant products offered for sale, hire or hire purchase. The physical label must be attached by the dealer (the retailer) on the outside front or top of the product, and it must remain clearly visible. The label must be the standard size, be in colour and on a white background.

In the case of any means of distance selling, energy efficiency information that would otherwise be contained on the label must be displayed to end users. If you are selling a product online, the full energy label for the product must be displayed next to the price, or you may use an arrow with the energy efficiency class and the range of energy efficiency classes alongside the product; this must link to the full energy label for the product (known as a nested display). The dealer must make the product information sheet (product fiche) available alongside the product or by linking to it on a publicly accessible website.

Furthermore, where reference is made to the energy efficiency or a price of a relevant specific model of appliance in an advertisement, the energy efficiency class of that model and the range of efficiency classes for that type of product must be provided.

If supplementary documents, such as brochures or technical manuals, provide information to end users about a specific model's technical parameters, they must also include information about the following:

  • energy efficiency class
  • range of efficiency classes

You may also wish to include electronic versions of the energy label to consumers; this can be done in addition to (not instead of) a label in paper form.

Manufacturers and suppliers must make an electronic version of the technical file for the product available within 10 days of a request from enforcement authorities.

Back to top

Where can I get the energy labels and product information sheet from?

It is the responsibility of the supplier to supply the energy labels and product information sheet free of charge to dealers. They should accompany each appliance, but if they are missing you can obtain one from your supplier, who should send it within five working days of your request.

Although the responsibility for implementing the labelling falls with the suppliers, it is the responsibility of the dealer to make sure the label is fixed to the appliance and the product information is available for consumers to see, including an electronic version online.

You can create an energy label on the GOV.UK website, or use the energy label API to create energy labels directly from your product information management system.

Back to top

Misleading information

You are not allowed to display any label, mark, symbol or inscription that, if displayed, is likely to mislead or confuse end users with respect to the consumption of energy (or other essential resources where relevant) during use. It is an offence to issue or provide false documentation with respect to energy rating under the Energy Information Regulations 2011 and the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.

Back to top

Further information

Guidance for suppliers and dealers on energy information has been produced by the Office for Product Safety and Standards and the Department for Energy Security and Net Zero; it can be found on the GOV.UK website. The guidance includes a list of specific regulations for different types of products (not included in our 'Key legislation' list below).

Guidance on describing energy labelling in advertisements has been produced by the Advertising Standards Authority.

Back to top

Trading Standards

For more information on the work of Trading Standards services - and the possible consequences of not abiding by the law - please see 'Trading Standards: powers, enforcement and penalties'.

Back to top

In this update

General detail added.

Last reviewed / updated: July 2024

Back to top

Key legislation

Please note

This information is intended for guidance; only the courts can give an authoritative interpretation of the law.

The guide's 'Key legislation' links often only shows the original version of the legislation, although some amending legislation is linked to separately where it is directly related to the content of a guide. Information on changes to legislation can be found by following the above links and clicking on the 'More Resources' tab.

What type of feedback would you like to leave
1a-User type
2a-User type
3a-User type
4a-User type

Consumer enquiries from England, Scotland and Wales are handled by the Citizens Advice Consumer Service who can be contacted by telephone on 03454 04 05 06. Consumer enquiries in Northern Ireland are handled by ConsumerLine who can be contacted by telephone on 0300 1236262. Call charges may vary.

How many years have you been trading?
How many employees are there in your business?

Business enquiries are dealt with by your local council. Use the Chartered Trading Standards Institute's postcode finder to locate your local trading standards team.

Are you satisfied? Did this site answer your question?