In the guide

Business activities that are not covered by the other categories of Trading Standards law

You'll still need to read the Quick Guides that cover what, where and how you sell, but it may be that you can't find specific information on your business.

How do you know whether you're covered by law

The law affecting businesses may seem daunting, and some sectors are much more heavily regulated than others. However, it is your responsibility to ensure that you research which laws apply to your specific business venture.

This guide gathers together the In-depth Guides that may not fit neatly into the areas of Trading Standards law covered by the other Quick Guides.

For more detailed information please see the In-depth Guides below. Once you've finished, make sure you look at the full range of Quick Guides to see whether there are any other areas of law that affect your business.

Before you start
Make sure you choose your location using the drop-down list at the top of the page. The In-depth Guides provide country-specific information as some laws are different in England, Scotland and Wales, and some are enforced differently.

Back to top

In-depth guidance

This is a general guide and you may well need to know more; take a look below where we've listed our In-depth Guides on specific topics related to other guidance and business activities


Antiques and antiquities

Selling antiques or antiquities? You must take great care that you do not mislead consumers or other businesses

Car boot sales

There are different requirements when selling at car boot sales, depending on whether or not you are a 'trader' in the eyes of the law

Energy rating information

Energy-efficiency labels must be displayed on certain electrical goods that are for sale

Single-use carrier bags

All businesses are required to charge for most new single-use carrier bags they supply

Sale and resale of tickets

Consumers must not be misled about ticket details, and certain information must be given to the prospective purchaser when tickets are resold

Credit and other financial matters

Official guidance from the Financial Conduct Authority

Herbal medicine and health food shops

How the law applies to products sold in these types of shop, including food supplements, cosmetics, and products of animal origin

Keeping pet pigs

Your duties if you keep pigs as pets, including identification requirements and movement records

Manufacturing your own pet foods

Recognise the legal implications of making pet foods at home, including the need for registration / approval

Responsible animal / pet ownership

Essential welfare information for individuals that keep animals, including pets and livestock

Retail sale of pet food

The law requires any pet food that you sell to be labelled with certain information

Selling solid fuel and wood fuel

The weight of solid fuel must be specified; this also applies to wood if a relevant bye-law exists, or you opt to show weight

Energy Performance Certificates

Understand the relevance of Energy Performance Certificates, Display Energy Certificates and the Green Deal, and whether these apply to your property

Intellectual property

It is important for businesses to understand what IP rights they own and how best to protect those rights

One-day and occasional sales

Important facts to consider before allowing an occasional or one-day sale to be held at your premises

Composition and use of packaging

The legal requirement to reduce, re-use, recover and recycle packaging, and what evidence you need in order to demonstrate compliance.

Tobacco, vapes, etc: packaging, labelling, advertising and tracking

A guide to the law on the packaging, tracking and tracing of tobacco products and the distribution and advertising of vapes


Any person who deals in precious metals must ensure they are correctly hallmarked and must display a dealers' notice

Energy efficiency of rented property: non-domestic

The minimum standard of energy efficiency of certain non-domestic rented property is a rating of E or above

Energy efficiency of rented property: domestic

The minimum standard of energy efficiency of certain domestic rented property is a rating of E or above


The use of plastic microbeads in rinse-off personal care products is prohibited, as is the supply of any such products

Novel foods (including CBD and hemp)

Novel foods explained, including restrictions on their use and an explanation of the legal status of foods containing CBD and the permitted uses of hemp

Single-use plastics

The manufacture and supply of certain single-use plastic products is prohibited

Environmental ('green') claims

Businesses need to ensure that environmental claims made about their products or services are not misleading

Storage and supply of fireworks

There are detailed requirements regarding the storage and retail supply of fireworks, including licensing and the times of the year when they can be supplied

Running your business

Consumer protection from unfair trading

When dealing with consumers you must ensure that you act fairly; you must provide accurate information and avoid business practices that are unfair, misleading or aggressive

Membership logos and claims of approval

Ensure you are entitled to use a membership or 'approved by' logo before doing so

Alternative dispute resolution

The options for businesses, and the information requirements, for resolving disputes out of court

Business-to-business marketing

Understand what the law requires of you when doing business with other businesses

Business scams

How to spot and then avoid getting caught out by scams targeting businesses

Company and business names

Understand the law regarding your business trading name; there are particular rules that only apply to 'companies'

Primary Authority

A guide to the Primary Authority partnership businesses can have with Trading Standards services

Trading Standards: powers, enforcement and penalties

How Trading Standards officers ensure that businesses comply with Trading Standards law, including their powers to visit businesses and to take formal enforcement action

What type of feedback would you like to leave
1a-User type
2a-User type
3a-User type
4a-User type

Consumer enquiries from England, Scotland and Wales are handled by the Citizens Advice Consumer Service who can be contacted by telephone on 03454 04 05 06. Consumer enquiries in Northern Ireland are handled by ConsumerLine who can be contacted by telephone on 0300 1236262. Call charges may vary.

How many years have you been trading?
How many employees are there in your business?

Business enquiries are dealt with by your local council. Use the Chartered Trading Standards Institute's postcode finder to locate your local trading standards team.

Are you satisfied? Did this site answer your question?