In the guide

This guidance is for England, Scotland and Wales

Under the General Product Safety Regulations 2005, it is an offence to supply (which includes hiring out) a used gas cooking appliance unless it complies with certain safety requirements. For example, the gas-carrying component must prevent leaks of gas, the gas shut-off devices must work properly and safely, and surface temperatures must not be too high.

Only someone who is Gas Safe-registered can install a gas appliance.

What is a gas cooking appliance?

A gas cooking appliance is any equipment designed, or suitable, for domestic use in the home (including a ship or caravan) and is designed for cooking by the burning of gas, including LPG (liquefied petroleum gas).

Equipment is covered by the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 even if it has additional functions. It is covered no matter where it is designed to be used:

  • floor, table or wall mounting
  • resting on a raised surface
  • fixed to any upright structure
  • supported by any other equipment

Second-hand equipment designed to be used outdoors or in a tent is also covered by these Regulations.

Back to top

What are the safety requirements?

The main safety requirements for a gas appliance when in normal use are as follows:

  • all gas carrying components must be sufficiently sound to prevent leaks of gas or poisonous fumes
  • oven door seals must be effective
  • burner ignition devices must work to ensure prompt ignition of the burner
  • when a burner is lit by automatic or manual devices, all of the flame ports must ignite
  • after a period of one minute following ignition, any flame must be stable enough so that it does not move away, either in whole or in part, from the burner port and the flame does not return inside the body of the burner
  • the quantity of carbon monoxide in the products of combustion is not such as to give rise to the likelihood of death or personal injury
  • gas shut-off devices must work promptly and safely
  • any tap handle must be designed so that it cannot be switched on by accident and the closed / open positions must be clearly marked and identifiable
  • shut-down lids with automatic devices to cut off gas must work, and interrupt the gas supplied to the hot plate burners when the lid is moved 45 degrees
  • it must not be possible for a shut-down lid to fall accidently from its fully raised position
  • surface temperatures, apart from working surfaces, must not be so high as to cause possible injury or fire
  • any glass (such as doors, lids and splashbacks) must be of a type to prevent death or injury due to the glass breaking
  • all accessible parts must be free from sharp edges
  • it must not be possible for burner bodies to be displaced accidently, but they must removable so as to be easily cleaned
  • flames from grills should not extend beyond the length of the grill
  • any free-standing appliance, when subjected to certain tests, must be stable and any pan supports must ensure the stability of any cooking vessels placed upon them
  • information that is necessary for the safe installation, adjustment, maintenance and operation must be marked on the appliance or, if not practicable, in accompanying documentation. It must be in English
Back to top

How do I know whether the cooker meets the safety requirements?

Cookers that state that they comply with the Standard BS EN 30: Domestic cooking appliances burning gas, or bear the UKCA / CE mark, will probably have complied when they were manufactured. However, that does not guarantee that they will comply after they have been used. Therefore, it will be necessary for a skilled and competent person (see below) to examine the appliance to ensure that it complies with the safety requirements.

Back to top

Who can install an appliance?

Only someone who is competent to do so under the terms of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998; in other words, a person registered by Gas Safe.

Back to top

Trading Standards

For more information on the work of Trading Standards services - and the possible consequences of not abiding by the law - please see 'Trading Standards: powers, enforcement and penalties'.

Back to top

In this update

No major changes.

Last reviewed / updated: September 2023

Back to top

Key legislation

Please note

This information is intended for guidance; only the courts can give an authoritative interpretation of the law.

The guide's 'Key legislation' links often only shows the original version of the legislation, although some amending legislation is linked to separately where it is directly related to the content of a guide. Information on changes to legislation can be found by following the above links and clicking on the 'More Resources' tab.

What type of feedback would you like to leave
1a-User type
2a-User type
3a-User type
4a-User type

Consumer enquiries from England, Scotland and Wales are handled by the Citizens Advice Consumer Service who can be contacted by telephone on 03454 04 05 06. Consumer enquiries in Northern Ireland are handled by ConsumerLine who can be contacted by telephone on 0300 1236262. Call charges may vary.

How many years have you been trading?
How many employees are there in your business?

Business enquiries are dealt with by your local council. Use the Chartered Trading Standards Institute's postcode finder to locate your local trading standards team.

Are you satisfied? Did this site answer your question?