20 September 2021
The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) is concerned about people being misled by environmental claims and also wants to ensure that businesses feel confident navigating the law in this area.
It has therefore published CMA Guidance on Environmental Claims on Goods and Services (the 'Green Claims Code').
The guidance focuses on six principles that are based on existing consumer law:
- claims must be truthful and accurate
- claims must be clear and unambiguous
- claims must not omit or hide important relevant information
- comparisons must be fair and meaningful
- claims must consider the full life cycle of the product or service
- claims must be substantiated