In the guide

Note: this guidance represents the law, as we understand it, after the post-Brexit transition period, which ends on 31 December 2020; it may be subject to change before that time.

This guidance is for England, Scotland and Wales

It is mandatory for manufacturers to draw up a declaration of performance and apply UKCA marking to any of their construction products that are covered by a designated UK standard, or conform to a UK Technical Assessment (UKTA) that has been issued for them, when such a product is placed on the UK market.

The Construction Products Regulations 2013, which implement EU Regulation (EU) No 305/2011 laying down harmonised conditions for the marketing of construction products, cover four main elements:

  • system of harmonised technical specifications
  • agreed system of conformity assessment for each product family
  • framework of notified bodies
  • UKCA marking of products

Definition of a construction product

In EU Regulation (EU) No 305/2011, a construction product is defined as "any product or kit which is produced and placed on the market for incorporation in a permanent manner in construction works or parts thereof and the performance of which has an effect on the performance of the construction works with respect to the basic requirements for construction works".

Construction products include products such as doors, windows, shutters and gates, membranes, thermal insulation products, chimneys and flues, sanitary appliances, fire alarms, flooring, fire retardant products, space heating appliances, power cables, glass, and fixings.

Back to top

MHCLG guidance

The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government has produced guidance on the Regulation, which can be found on the GOV.UK website.

Back to top

Key legislation

EU Regulation (EU) No 305/2011 laying down harmonised conditions for the marketing of construction products

Construction Products Regulations 2013


Last reviewed / updated: October 2020

Please note

This information is intended for guidance; only the courts can give an authoritative interpretation of the law.

The guide's 'Key legislation' links may only show the original version of the legislation, although some amending legislation is linked to separately where it is directly related to the content of a guide. Information on amendments to legislation can be found on each link's 'More Resources' tab.

What type of feedback would you like to leave
1a-User type
2a-User type
3a-User type
4a-User type

Consumer enquiries from England, Scotland and Wales are handled by the Citizens Advice Consumer Service who can be contacted by telephone on 03454 04 05 06. Consumer enquiries in Northern Ireland are handled by ConsumerLine who can be contacted by telephone on 0300 1236262. Call charges may vary.

How many years have you been trading?
How many employees are there in your business?

Business enquiries are dealt with by your local council. Use the Chartered Trading Standards Institute's postcode finder to locate your local trading standards team.

Are you satisfied? Did this site answer your question?